Past Good Brick Award recipients
Since 1979, Preservation Houston has presented more than 200 Good Brick Awards to recognize local contributions to the preservation, restoration and enhancement of Houston's architectural and cultural heritage. The following is a list of all Good Brick Award winners; years in which no awards were presented are noted.
Development Services Group, Inc. for restoring the Melrose Building (1952) in downtown Houston
Kip Platt / Provident Realty Group for repurposing the Texas Company Building (1915, 1936, 1959) in downtown Houston
Genevieve Withers for rehabilitating the Minnie & Joseph Blazek House (1909) in the Heights West Historic District
Electra & Douglas Elliott for restoring the George & Emma Westfall House (1905) in the Westmoreland Historic District
Angela Bishop for renovating the Ferdinand G. Schoellkopf House (1892) in the Old Sixth Ward Historic District
Claire & Jeff Granberry for restoring the Ewart H. Lightfoot House (ca. 1925) in the Audubon Place Historic District
Caspian Enterprises for repurposing the former Waddell’s Furniture Warehouse (1913) as Sampson Lofts in the East End
Houston Independent School District for preserving the historic building at Milby High School (1926) in Harrisburg
Adam Brackman, Monte Large and Jeff Kaplan for renovating and repurposing the Axelrad Building (ca. 1915) in Midtown
Chas Haynes for repurposing one of Houston’s first Gulf service stations (1921) in Midtown
Revive Development for redeveloping an Art Deco commercial building (ca. 1930) in the Houston Heights
Ben Koush and Houston Mod for the book Constructing Houston’s Future: The Architecture of Arthur Evans Jones & Lloyd Morgan Jones
Martha Peterson Award: Delaney Harris-Finch, Anna Mod and Architecture Center Houston for the exhibition and catalog Houston: Uncommon Modern
Pier & Beam Future Landmark Award: New Hope Housing at Brays Crossing
President’s Award: Bob Eury for his visionary dedication to downtown revitalization and his integral role in transforming downtown Houston from a workplace into an urban showplace
Anne Whitlock & Michael Skelly for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of Fire Station No. 2 (1910) in the East End
David Denenburg for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of Fire Station No. 3 (1903) in the First Ward
The rehabilitation of the Gov. William P. Hobby House (1929) in Old Braeswood
Laura & Evan Michaelides for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of the Dentler Building (1923) in the High First Ward Historic District
Antonio Herrada & Peter Boyle for the rehabilitation of their Victorian home (1905) in the High First Ward Historic District
Lin Chong & Dominic Yap for the rehabilitation of their historic home (1908) in Woodland Heights
Luis Roger, Ignacio Torras and Fivos Kazilas for the adaptive re-use of a historic house (1920) as BCN Taste & Tradition restaurant in Montrose
FW Heritage, LLC, for the renovation and sympathetic addition to a historic house (c. 1910) in the Near Northside
City of Houston and Fifth Ward Community Redevelopment Corp. for the rehabilitation of the DeLuxe Theater (1941) in the Fifth Ward
Deer Park Independent School District for the renovation of Wolters High School (1930) in Deer Park
Martha Peterson Award: Buffalo Bayou Partnership for the rehabilitation and adaptive re-use of the Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern (1926)
President's Award: Gerald D. Hines
Mo & Ric Campo for the restoration of the Victor Neuhaus, Jr. House (1950) in River Oaks
Lee Roeder for the rescue and rehabilitation of the 1872 Gottlieb Eisele House and compatible new construction in the Old Sixth Ward Historic District
Heights Clock Tower group for the adaptive re-use of the Oriental Textile Mill (1894) in Houston Heights
James W. O'Neill / Inventure Design Group for the rehabilitation of a Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson office building (1963) at 3118 Richmond Avenue
Jane & Robert Cabes for the renovation of the 1941 Henderson-Scurlock House in River Oaks
Taryn Kinney & Michael Morrow / Kinneymorrow Architecture for the restoration and adaptive re-use of a c. 1885 Victorian cottage in the Old Sixth Ward Historic District
Dallas McNamara for the renovation and repurposing of a 1922 Craftsman bungalow as a private home and art space in Cherryhurst
Benjamin Berg and Frank Liu / Lovett Commercial for the rehabilitation of the former Dittman Bakery Building (1924) on Washington Avenue as B&B Butchers & Restaurant
San Jacinto College for the renovation of the 1966 Lee Davis Library in Pasadena
The City of Humble for the rehabilitation of the former Bender High School (1929) as a performing arts center
The renovation of the Mr. & Mrs. H.M. Harrell, Jr. Residence, a 1963 Harwood Taylor-designed home in River Oaks
Drew Bacon for the restoration of a Folk Victorian house (c. 1895) in the East End
Jim Reeder & Eric Nevil for the renovation of a 1947 John Staub-designed house in River Oaks
Martha & Steve Curry for the restoration of the 1953 Bendit House by Lars Bang in Ayrshire
Martha Peterson Award: FW Heritage, LLC, for the rescue and rehabilitation of the Hirzel-von Haxthausen House (1883) and the Bammel-Long House (1899) in the First Ward
Pier & Beam Future Landmark Award: McGovern Centennial Gardens and Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion at Hermann Park
President's Award: Barry Moore, FAIA
Glen Rosenbaum for the restoration of his mid-century modern home (1964) at 5219 S. Braeswood Boulevard in Meyerland
Pearl Hospitality for the development of the JW Marriott Houston Downtown in the 1910 Carter Building, 806 Main Street downtown
Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School for the restoration of the former Mount Carmel High School, 6700 Mount Carmel Drive in Bayou Oaks
Harris County for conversion of the former Robert E. Lee Elementary School (1917) in the Near Northside into the Leonel J. Castillo Community Center
Houston Community College for the restoration of the former San Jacinto High School (1914) in Midtown
Nature Discovery Center Houston for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the historic Henshaw House (1925), 7112 Newcastle Street in Bellaire
Stephen Howe and Alicia Blaszak for the restoration of their Tudor-style home (1928), 1635 South Boulevard in the Boulevard Oaks Historic District
Eva Hughes and Brenda Hughes for the restoration of the Loggins-Hughes Building (1936), 4216 Washington Avenue in the West End
Ellie and Christian Busker for the restoration of a 1920s bungalow at 934 Louise Street in Sunset Heights Annex
Karine Semple and Carl Hollimon for the restoration of their 1894 home at 2204 Decatur Street in the Old Sixth Ward Historic District
James Gast for his book The Astrodome: Building an American Spectacle
H-E-B Award: Michael Skelly and Anne Whitlock for the renovation of a Victorian cottage at 317 Sampson Street and the rescue of six historic houses in the East End
Martha Peterson Award: The Heritage Society for the restoration and reinterpretation of the Fourth Ward Cottage in Sam Houston Park
Pier & Beam Future Landmark Award: BBVA Compass Stadium
Community Pillar Award: Buffalo Bayou Partnership for its outstanding contributions to the community through preserving green space and historic structures
President's Award: Phoebe Tudor for her outstanding personal and professional contributions to historic preservation in Houston
Restoration of the C. Milby Dow House (1926) at 1305 South Boulevard in the Broadacres Historic District
Trinity Episcopal Church for the restoration of its stained glass windows
Gayle & Arlen Ferguson for the sympathetic addition to 219 West 11th Street (1904) in the Heights
Diane & Ray Krueger for the renovation of and symapthetic addition to 3315 West 12th Street
Summer Ventures, LP, for the rehabilitation of the Cook Paint & Varnish Co. Building at 2500 Summer Street
David Hille for the restoration of 504 Enid Street, a 1920s bungalow in the Brooke Smith Addition
Harris County Precinct Two for the restoration of Sylvan Beach Pavilion (1956) in La Porte
Doug Lawing for the restoration of 1112 Milford Street (1926) in Turner Addition
Martha Peterson Award: Houston Audubon for the restoration of the Edith L. Moore Log Cabin
Pier & Beam Future Landmark Award: Discovery Green
Stewart Title Award: Houston Parks and Recreation Department for Bethel Park
Community Pillar Award: Hermann Park Conservancy
Annunciation Catholic Church/Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston for restoring the stained glass windows in and stabilizing the tower of Annunciation Catholic Church (1871, 1881, 1900) at 1618 Texas Avenue
Cheryl & David Bowman for the restoration of 7919 Glenview Drive (1954) in the Glenbrook Valley Historic District
500 Fannin LLC for the restoration of the Wilson Stationery & Printing Co. Building (1932) at 500 Fannin Street in the Main Street/Market Square Historic District
Cynthia & Ben Guill for the restoration of and sympathetic addition to 1912 Larchmont Road (1936) in River Oaks
Tom Hair/Axiom for the restoration of and sympathetic addition to Fire Station No. 6 (1903) at 1702 Washington Avenue in the Sixth Ward
Krissy & Will Hirtz for the restoration of 2514 Brentwood Drive (1934) in River Oaks
Madeleine Callery Hussey for conservation of the Weber Iron & Wire Co./Weber-Staub Briscoe Collection at the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University
Houston Arts & Media with Texas Society Daughters of the American Revolution for their education program With Respect: Preserving Historic Cemeteries
Louisa Meacham & John Faraguna for the restoration of 3008 Morrison Street (1907) in the Woodland Heights Historic District
Laura & Evan Michaelides/Four Square Design for the restoration of 1810 Summer Street (c. 1905) in the First Ward
Mongoose versus Cobra/1011 McGowen Ltd. for the restoration and adaptive reuse of 1011 McGowen Avenue (1915) in Midtown
Matt Pasternak/Pasternak Custom Homes for the restoration of and sympathetic addition to 1740 South Boulevard (1936) in the Boulevard Oaks Historic District
Texas Foundation for the Arts for its documentary The 1910 Harris County Courthouse
Martha Peterson Award: Anna Mod
Community Pillars: Beth Madison and J.P. Bryan
Katie & Nick Johnson's renovation of their historic house (1928) in the Boulevard Oaks Historic District
Houston Public Library's renovation of the Oak Forest Neighborhood Library (1961)
Lynn & Ty Kelly's renovation of their historic house (1949) in River Oaks
City of Houston for the green adaptive reuse of a historic warehouse (1924) as the Houston Permitting Office
Glenwood Cemetery, Inc., for stewardship of historic Glenwood Cemetery
Nancy & Walter Bratic's renovation of their historic house (1941) in River Oaks
Fred Sharifi's rehabilitation of a historic commercial building (c. 1930) in Montrose
Paula & Sam Douglass' renovation of their historic house (1936) in River Oaks
Carol & Daniel Price's renovation of the Henry Stude Garage (1924) in Shadyside
Minnette & Peter Boesel's rehabilitation of a historic duplex (c. 1925) in Eastwood
Daughters of the Republic of Texas, San Jacinto Chapter, for stewardship of the Pioneer Log Cabin Museum (1936)
Martha Peterson Award: Mayor Annise Parker for her successful effort to strengthen protections in Houston's historic districts
President's Award: Harris County's restoration of the historic county courthouse (1910)
Stewart Title Award: Houston Public Library's restoration of the Julia Ideson Building (1926)
Community Pillars: Martha Turner and Drayton McLane, Jr.
Carol & Mike Linn for the restoration of their historic house (1923) in Shadyside
Saul Obregon and Ruben Obregon for the renovation of their historic house (ca. 1900) in the Near Northside
Houston Downtown Management District, Downtown Redevelopment Authority/TIRZ #3 and Houston Parks and Recreation Department for the redevelopment of Market Square Park
Houston Public Library for The African American Library at the Gregory School (1926)
Thomas J. Bath & Dan Hawkins for the rehabilitation of their historic house (1910) in Westmoreland
Bennie & David Ansell for a sympathetic addition to their historic house (1885) in Old Sixth Ward
Houston Parks and Recreation Department for the renovation of the Farnsworth & Chambers [now Gragg] Building (1957)
Glenwood Cemetery Historic Preservation Foundation for the book Houston's Silent Garden: Glenwood Cemetery, 1871-2009
Orange Show Center for Visionary Art for the restoration of The Beer Can House
Steven R. Strom for his book Houston Lost and Unbuilt
Taryn Kinney & Michael Morrow for the renovation of their historic house (1876) in Old Sixth Ward
SILCO, Inc. for the adaptive reuse of the former Nabisco bakery (1910)
Kate McCormick & Champ Warren for the rehabilitation of their historic house (1937) in Southside Place
Deborah Keyser & James Stafford and the adaptive reuse of the National Cash Register Co. Building (1929)
Stewart Title Award: Brennan's of Houston for the rehabilitation of its historic building (1929)
Martha Peterson Award: Sylvan Rodriguez, Jr. Elementary School Art Department for its fourth- and fifth-grade project Houston: Urban Landscapes in Watercolor
President's Award: Bob Fretz, Jr.
Ann & Salvador Guercio for the restoration of their historic house (1887) at 1801 Lubbock Street
Amy & Eric Powitzky for the restoration of their historic house (1910) at No. 4 Courtlandt Place
John W. Gabriel, AIA for the adaptive reuse of his historic house (1919) at 1100 Milford Street
Monica Savino & Mark Kusey for the renovation of their historic bungalow (1927) at 1302 Knox Street
Houston Public Library for the renovation of the Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research in the historic Clayton House (1917) at 5300 Caroline Street
Cathy & Paul Chapman for the renovation of their historic house (1929) at 2121 Brentwood Drive
Nancy & Neal Manne for the renovation of their historic house (1931) at 2947 Inwood Drive
Carol Triebel & Rick Gist for the renovation of their historic house (1935) at 2829 Nottingham Street
Jan & Ron Smulcer for the restoration of the J.P. Adoue House (1937) at 2135 Looscan Lane
Chris & Max Lukens for the renovation of their historic house (1940) at 3820 Willowick Road
Rice Building Workshop at Project Row Houses for the Core House project at 2503 Holman Street
Martha Peterson Award: City of Houston Summer Jobs for Youth Program for the College Park Memorial Cemetery genealogy program
Stewart Title Award: The Houston Aeronautical Heritage Society for preservation of the historic Houston Municipal Air Terminal as the 1940 Air Terminal Museum
President's Award: The Heritage Society in recognition of more than 50 years of historic preservation and heritage education in Houston and Harris County
Pam Lowe for neighborhood preservation in Woodland Heights
John H. Reagan High School, the restoration of a historic school building
22 Willowend, a 1960 contemporary house in Hunters Creek
12923 Memorial Drive, a 1956 Memorial Bend home
706 W. Sawyer, the "green" renovation of an Old Sixth Ward bungalow
Friends of Wharton for its successful drive to keep Wharton Elementary School open
Friends of the Texas Room for In Search of Houston's History
Houston Mod for its Mod of the Month program
North Houston Bank Award: Bryan Danna, Jimmy Franklin and Richard Kieval for the restoration of a commercial building at 1102 Yale St.
Stewart Title Award: Tim Beeson for the restoration of 609 Heights Blvd.
President's Award: The Clayton Family
Tradition Bank Plaza, the adaptive reuse of the former Plaza Hotel
Old Sixth Ward Neighborhood Association for its efforts in getting the Old Sixth Ward named the city's first protected historic district
Bartlett Lofts, the restoration of the Texas Staple Company warehouse
1701 Kipling Street, the restoration of a former Montrose-area duplex
Houston Mod for its publication Hugo V. Neuhaus, Residential Architecture, 1948-1966
5306 Institute Lane, the restoration of a contemporary home in the Rice University area
13 Celsius, the restoration and adaptive reuse of the former Jennings Cleaning building in Midtown
West University Elementary School, the restoration and expansion of an historic school building
St. Anne Catholic Church for the restoration of its 1929 parish hall
1405 South Blvd., the restoration of a home in Broadacres
Stewart Title Award: Alexander Love Chapter, National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution for its stewardship of Founders Memorial Park
Andrea & David Matthiesen for the restoration of the Farrar House (1923) at 511 Lovett Boulevard
Harrisburg Plaza, Ltd., for the restoration of the retail center (1929) at 5104 Harrisburg Boulevard
Post Wood Municipal Utility District for Seal McDougle Memorial Park and Cemetery in Spring
Laura & John Calaway for the restoration of the Herbert R. Paine House (1910) at 232 Emerson Street
Holy Rosary Church for the restoration and sympathetic additions to its building (1933) at 3617 Travis Street
Vanessa & Jason Smith for the restoration of their house (1955) at 10920 Willowisp Drive
Stephen C. Steiner & Keith S. Wallace for the restoration of their William A. Wilson home (1912) at 4620 McKinney Avenue
Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church for its historic building (1921, 1927) at 6621 Main Street
Dana Harper for the restoration of the Frame House (1960) at 403 Westminster
North Houston Bank Preservation Partner in Print Award: Lisa Gray, arts editor for the Houston Chronicle
Stewart Title Award: Mica & Robert Mosbacher for their vision and personal commitment in preserving the Mary Wood & Hugo V. Neuhaus, Jr. House (1950)
President's Award: Joella & Stewart Morris
Fretz 420 Main Ltd. for the restoration and conversion of the former Byrd's Department Store
Harris County, Jerry Patchen and Avi Ron for the restoration of 1417 Congress Ave., the former Palace Hotel
Avenue Community Development Corp. and Artspace Projects Inc. for the adaptive reuse of the former Jefferson Davis Hospital
Club Quarters-Houston for the restoration of 720 Fannin St., the Texas State Hotel
Lawndale Art Center for the restoration of 4912 Main St., its 1931 Joseph Finger-designed gallery space
Kaldis Development Interests for 807 Taft St., the restoration of the former Antone's Famous Po' Boys & Deli building
Peggy and Ken Lindow for 3317 Morrison St., a 1910 home in Woodland Heights
Rice University for the renovation of 2 Sunset Blvd.
Rice Design Alliance and Houston Mod for "Modern Mode: Houston Architecture at Mid-Century"
St. Thomas High School for the restoration of the rotunda in its 1940 main building
Carol Eckels Adams for the advancement of preservation in Katy
Beverly and Major Stevenson for the creation of E.R. and Ann Taylor Park
Stewart Title Award: Hermann Park Conservancy for the Heart of the Park
Preservation Partner in Print Award: Story Sloane III
President's Award: Mayor Bill White
Maloney, Martin & Mitchell, LLP, W.L.S. Interests, Inc., and Southcorp Realty Advisors, Inc., for the renovation and adaptive reuse of 3401 Allen Parkway, the former Rein Co. Building
Heights Industrial Center for the adaptive reuse of the 22nd Street Lofts, a former Heights textile factory
Carl and Carrie Corson for 308 Cordell Street, a 1910 bungalow in the Brooke Smith Addition
Bill England and Minnette Boesel for "Rosecroft," a 1916 Craftsman-style home in Eastwood
Geoffrey and Karlene Poll for 1605 Heights Blvd., a 1918 Alfred C. Finn-designed home
University of Houston-Downtown for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the Willow Street Pump Station
220 Venture Partners, LP and Benchmark Hospitality for the Hotel Icon, a restoration and adaptive reuse of the 1911 Union National Bank Building
Avenue CDC and Anthony Colca for the Summer Street Project, the restoration of nine historic First Ward cottages
Texas Medical Center for the John P. McGovern Campus, the adaptive reuse of the former Nabisco Houston Bakery
Roger Wood and James Fraher for the book Down in Houston: Bayou City Blues, a history of the blues in Houston
Stewart Title Award: The Menil Foundation for the restoration of the Menil House
Preservation Partner in Print Award: Houston House & Home magazine
President's Award: Minnette Boesel for leadership in local preservation
Housing Horizons LLC, Leddy Ventures LP and SpawGlass Construction Corp. for a restoration and adaptive reuse of the Humble Building
Bill Lipscomb of Blumenthal Sheet Metal for 1200-1206 Nance, a preserved Victorian streetscape in the Warehouse District
Kathleen English, Charlotte Rothwell, Walter L. Visinsky Sr. and WIlliam C. Visinsky for the restoration and adaptation of 1919 Decatur St., the former Tabernacle Baptist Church
Joe Meppelink and Marisa Janusz for 2012 Kane St., a restored and enlarged 1890s Folk Victorian cottage in the Old Sixth Ward
Nancy Grogan for restoring 4610 Oak Ridge St., a 1930s bungalow in Norhill
Mike and Mary Jane Gallagher for the restoration of 2508 Pelham Drive, a Charles Oliver-designed house in River Oaks
The Rev. William Miller and the members of Trinity Episcopal Church for the stewardship and restoration of Trinity Episcopal Church
HHN Homes LP for Villa Serena, an adaptive reuse of the former DePelchin Faith Home
Father Michael Barrett for Holy Cross Chapel, a 1926 Alfred C. Finn-designed building at 905 Main St.
Steve Holtze Hotels for The Magnolia, an adaptive reuse of the Post-Dispatch Building
Al Davis for leadership in preservation in Harris County
George Strake for his commitment to preservation and GHPA
Stewart Title Award: Harris County District Clerk Charles Bacarisse and his staff for the Historic Documents Preservation Project
Preservation Partner in Print Award: Houston Chronicle and its president and publisher, Jack Sweeney
President's Award: JPMorgan Chase for its stewardship of the JPMorgan Chase Building (the former Gulf Building)
Steven Courtade, Sherry Hill and the Alidade Group for the renovation of, and a historically sensitive addition to, 2010 Kane St.
Courtney and Fred Steves and Glassman Shoemake Maldonado Architects for the renovation of 2337 Blue Bonnet Blvd. (1937)
Bill Caudell and Randy Powers for the restoration and renovation of 2421 Brentwood Drive
Frank Garvey and Jackson Hicks for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the lobby of the First National Bank Building, 201 Main St. (1905, 1909, 1925), as The Corinthian, with special mention to Frank Garvey for the renovation of the remainder of the building as the Franklin Lofts
Spire Realty Group for its commitment to historic preservation in downtown Houston, as exemplified by the renovation and adaptive reuse of the Sam Houston Hotel, Bayou Lofts, the Topek Building, the McCrory Building, 509 Main St. and 708 Main St.
Hugo's restaurant and Colby Design with Kaldis Development Interests for the renovation and adaptive reuse of the Imperial Plumbing Supply building, 1600 Westheimer Road (1926)
Gingrich Associates Architects for the renovation of 3843 N. Braeswood Blvd. (1960)
Ray + Hollington Architects for the renovation and adaptive reuse of the Weldon Cafeteria building, 4916 Main St. (1949)
Rice University and FKP Architects for the renovation and restoration of Keck Hall (the Chemistry Building) at Rice University (1925)
Stewart Title Award: Girl Scouts Troop 12357 of the San Jacinto Council for their historical research and assistance in a walking tour of Glenwood Cemetery
President's Award: John L. Nau III for his work as chairman of the Texas Historical Commission and as chairman of the federal Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
No Good Brick Awards were presented in 2002.
Tony Abyad & Phyllis Childress, Franci & Jim Crane, Michele & Brent Friedman, Cathy & Frank Hevrdejs, Catherine & Andrew Kaldis, and Sharon & Gary Leach for the restoration of the Commercial National Bank Building (1904), 917 Franklin Ave.
T.J. Bath and Dan Hawkins for the restoration of and addition to 1406 Welch St.
Friends of Hermann Park and the City of Houston Parks & Recreation Department for the restoration and renovation of McGovern Lake in Hermann Park
Jack Butcher and John Hathcote for the restoration of and addition to 609 Harold St.
Housing Corporation of Greater Houston for the adaptive reuse of the DeGeorge Hotel building (1913), 1418 Preston Ave.
Jon Deal, Eric Furler, Todd Johnson and Scott Sullivan for the restoration of the Almeda Court Apartments (1939), 1913-1941 Prospect Ave.
Betty Trapp Chapman for leadership in historic preservation
Deborah Keyser & James Stafford, Catherine & Bill Coulter and Martha McKenzie for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the Third Church of Christ, Scientist, building (1928), 5516 Almeda Road
Stewart Title Award: Uplift Fourth Ward CDC for the restoration of 1111 Saulnier St.
President's Awards: Dr. John P. McGovern and Jane Blaffer Owen
Addie M. Barrett Dixon for research and publication of the book East of the River, which preserves the history of her family and Barrett Station, the settlement founded by former slaves in 1875
Outstanding Leadership in Historic Preservation: Bart Truxillo, who has actively championed historic preservation in Houston for three decades
Patrick Van Pelt/The Mid Continent Companies, Ltd., for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the Benjamin Apartments (1920), 1218 Webster Ave.
Proctor Plaza Neighborhood Association for the designation of the Norhill Historic District
Avenue Community Development Corporation for the Move Home Program, founded in 1996, which has saved 16 houses from demolition
Dr. Norman Kirk Speck for the restoration of the Dr. Penn B. Thornton House at 327 W. 16th St.
Diane & Harry Gendel for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the Philip M. Helfrich House (c. 1890), 1807 Decatur St.
Stewart Title Award: Charlotte Kelly Bryant and the Blue Triangle Multi-Cultural Association, Inc., for the preservation of the Blue Triangle YWCA Building at 3005 McGowen Ave.
President's Award: Drayton McLane of the Houston Astros and the founding board of the Harris County/Houston Sports Authority for the renovation of Union Station (1911), 501 Crawford St.
912 Prairie Avenue, LLC, for façade restoration of the Scholibo/Shoe Market Building (1880), 912 Prairie Ave.
Pentasafe Inc. for restoration of 530 Lovett Blvd. and its corporate commitment to preservation
Tripoli Development Ltd. and Mirador Group for façade restoration of 306 Main St. (1880, 1924)
Kyle D. Smith for the restoration of the Macattee House (1914), 1220 Southmore Blvd., and his commitment to the Binz neighborhood
Houston Area Urban League Inc. for its commitment to the former Federal Reserve Bank Building (1921), 1301 Texas Ave.
Oslind Thomas Inc. for the construction of three compatible infill homes in the Heights
Preservation Program Award: Texas Trailblazers Preservation Association and Patricia Smith Prather
Preservation Program Award: Residents of the 1500 block of Michigan Street in Cherryhurst for their efforts in preserving their historic streetscape and for improving the quality of new development
Stewart Title Award: Brett Zamore for restoration 4739 Buck St.
President's Award: John Tweed Hannah for his commitment to historic preservation
Hermann Memorial Healthcare System and Willis Bricker & Cannady, Architects, for the renovation of the Hermann Professional Building (1949, 1958), 6410 Fannin St.
Houston Area Community Development Corporation for the adaptive reuse of 1414 Congress Ave.
Patricia & John Laurent with Patton W. Brooks, AIA, and Windham Builders for the renovation of 3237 Inwood Drive (1925)
Sterling Victorian Homes for the adaptive reuse of the former Second Church of Christ, Scientist (1922), 1402 Harvard St.
Walter E. Strickland for the restoration of 2619 N. Calumet Drive (1930)
Preservation Program Award: The Angels of Glenwood Cemetery
Preservation Program Award: Houston Municipal Art Conservation Program
Preservation Leadership Award in Honor of Jesse H. Jones: Stephen Fox
Stewart Title Award: 204 Travis Venture, L.P., and Doug Crosson with Gensler for the Hermann Lofts in the Hermann Estate Building (1917), 204-212 Travis St.
Restoration of Christ Church Cathedral (1893), 1117 Texas Ave.
Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word for the restoration of Villa de Matel (1928), 6510 Lawndale St.
Houston Fire Museum and Mesa Southwest Construction Corp. for the restoration of the Houston Fire Museum (1899), 2403 Milam St.
Restoration of Trinity Episcopal Church (1919), 3415 Mian St.
Restoration of Houston City Hall (1939), 901 Bagby St.
Catherine M. Roberts for the restoration of the Rutherford Yates House (1912), 1314 Andrews St.
Linda & Charles Piserelle for the restoration of their house at 2218 Caroline St.
Andrew Malveaux for therenovation of historic row houses in the Third Ward and the creation of Project Row Houses
Mr. and Mrs. Alan M. Galicki for the restoration of 2029 Swift Blvd.
The Mirador Group for construction of the Winlow Westheimer District
Matthew Cox for the restoration of his home (c. 1878) at 1910 Decatur St.
A.V. Emmott, a bookbinder, craftsperson of the year
The Downtown Historic District for its Facade Grant Program
Steven M. Baron for his book Houston Electric: The Street Railways of Houston, Texas
Hill Swift for the Freedman's Town Master Plan
Houston Heights Association for the restoration of the Heights Fire Station and construction of the Heights Playground in Donavan Park
Vivian Hubbard Seals for leadership in historic preservation
St. Joseph Parish and the Catholic Diocese of Galveston/Houston for the restoration of St. Joseph Catholic Church (1902), 1505 Kane St.
Moriarty and Associates for adaptive reuse of 1150 Bissonnet St. (1924)
Gary Warwick for facade restoration of the Larendon Building (c. 1890), 309 Travis St.
Gensler and Associates and Harris County Heritage Society for restoration of the Jack Yates House (1870)
Louise & Rob Jamail for renovation of 2218 Troon Road
Foley Building LLC for the interior adaptive reuse of the Foley Building (1861, 1889), 214 Travis St.
Barry Moore for the Louis and Anne Friedman Clock Tower at Market Square, appropriate new construction within a historic context
Silver Street Properties for the restoration of four buildings in the 700 block of Silver Street
Tim Baily, a blacksmith, craftsperson of the year
The Municipal Art Commission and Artie Lee Hinds for the restoration of the Sam Houston Monument (1924) in Hermann Park
President's Award: Mayor Bob Lanier for his vision in using preservation as a tool for urban revitalization
No Good Brick Awards were presented in 1995.
Wheatley High School and "Keep Five Alive" for the Evergreen Negro Cemetery Project
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston for the restoration and rehabilitation of Bayou Bend (1928), 2940 Lazy Lane
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church for the restoration of the historic house at 1811 Heights Boulevard
Rice University for the preservation and stabilization of Lovett Hall (1912)
Doreen & Earl James for the rehabilitation of 604 Bayland Ave.
Trinity Episcopal Church for the preservation, restoration and expansion of its campus, 3415 Main St.
Metropolitan Community Church of the Resurrection for rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the McEvine House (c. 1868), 1909 Decatur St.
FKM Partnership Ltd. and Carter & Cooley Co. Deli for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of the Brashear Building (1882), 910 Prairie Ave.
Randall Davis for his pioneering efforts in adaptive reuse of historic buildings in downtown Houston and Galveston
Buffalo Bayou Partnership and East End Chamber of Commerce for "Houston's Heritage Corridor: Buffalo Bayou East Sector Redevelopment Plan"
Mrs. Thelma Scott Bryant for preserving the social history of Houston's African-American community by publishing Pioneer Families of Houston
Annunciation Catholic Church for preservation and restoration of its historic building (1871; 1884-1895), 1618 Texas Ave.
Swig Weiler and Dinner Development Company, First Interstate Bank of Texas and Gensler for the Niels and Mellie Esperson Buildings (1927, 1941), 808 Travis St.
Trudy Herolz and Robert A. Herolz Jr. for the preservation and restoration of Isabella Court Apartments (1929), 1003-1005 Isabella Ave.
Sharon and Gus Kopriva, Robert Morris, Architect, and J.V. Dougherty Construction for the restoration of the Heights Theater (1929, 1935), 339 W. 19th St.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for Phase I restoration of the U.S.S. Texas (1914)
The Park People Inc. for the Harris County Tree Registry
Rice Design Alliance for the 1992 Heart of the Park Competition
The Hospice at the Texas Medical Center for restoration of the Oscar Holcombe House (1927), 1905 Holcombe Blvd.
The Houston Heights Association for its 1991 Centennial Projects
Evergreen Friends for the reclamation of the historic Evergreen Cemetery
Carol & Hill Adams for the renovation of 221 E. 12th St.
METRO for development of the first Historic Resources Database for the City of Houston
Greater Heights Area Chamber of Commerce for the Houston Heights Texas Urban Main Street Project
City Partnership Ltd. for continued leadership and dedicated involvement in the Main Street/Market Square Historic District, including the reconstruction of the Pillot Building
City Councilman Jim Greenwood, who sponsored the work of the Ad Hoc Task Force on Planning and Zoning
Constance Houston Thompson for the preservation of The Houston Place (1911), her family's home in the Fifth Ward
Gary Warwick for the renovation of the former Ritz Theater (1926), 911 Preston Ave.
Christ Church Cathedral for its commitment to its historic location in downtown Houston
Javier Luna for the restoration of 1805 Lubbock Street in the Old Sixth Ward
Houston Heights Association for leadership in historic preservation
Franklin M. Denson, president of Excursion Trains Inc., for development of the Texas Limited
The Trustees of Hermann Hospital for restoration of the main hospital building (1925), 6411 Fannin St.
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts Inc. for restoration of the Warwick Hotel (1926), 5701 Main St.
State Rep. Debra Danburg for her efforts in the Texas Legislature on behalf of historic preservation
City Aviation Department for preservation of the Municipal Airport Terminal (1940) at William P. Hobby Airport, 8325 Travelair St.
Eleanor Tinsley for her efforts in creating the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission
U.S. Congressman Mike Andrews for his efforts in preserving the U.S.S. Manassas
Wortham & Van Liew for the restoration of the Federal Land Bank Building (1929, 1934, 1941), 430 Lamar Ave.
Charles Hansen for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the former Central Church of Christ (1941, 1947), 4100 Montrose Blvd.
Houston Committee for Private Sector Initiatives for the "Home Repair Program"
University of Houston-Downtown for the restoration and adaptive reuse of the M&M Building (1930), 1 Main St.
Houston Community College for the restoration of the Temple Beth Israel (1925) as the Heinen Theater, 3517 Austin St.
Texas Commerce Bank for the restoration of the Gulf Building (1929), 712 Main St.
No Good Brick Awards were presented from 1985-87.
No Good Brick Awards were presented in 1983.
Restoration of Antioch Baptist Church (1875, 1890), 500 Clay Ave.
Frank Glass for restoration of the Hogg Building (1921), 401 Louisiana St.
John Hannah for restoration of the Old Cotton Exchange building (1884, 1907), 202 Travis St.
Thomas Thompson for restoration and adaptive reuse of the Kirby mansion (1926), 2000 Smith St.
The Good Brick Awards were first presented in 1979.