Renderings of proposed alterations to the former Weiner’s Dry Goods Store No. 12 (1946, Irving R. Klein) at 4901 Washington Avenue were released in mid-December 2018. A remodeling of the property to accommodate a new tenant, Arizona-based beer garden chain Bottled Blonde, includes eliminating the largely extant Streamline Moderne-style façade.
Nearly 200 of Preservation Houston’s members and friends gathered November 29 to ring in the holiday season in the penthouse lounge of The Star, the Good Brick Award-winning residential conversion of the historic Texas Company Building downtown.
With permits in place and the site fenced off, Chevron is moving forward with the demolition of one of the last remnants of downtown Houston's automobile row of the 1920s. Architectural historian Stephen Fox has written an article for the Houston Chronicle's Gray Matters explaining why the energy corporation should preserve the former Shelor Motor Company (1928), 1621 Milam at Pease. Preservation Houston has contacted Chevron encouraging the company to halt the demolition.
A new owner has purchased the Desel-Boettcher Building (1912) at 901 Commerce Avenue in the Main Street/Market Square Historic District and plans to rehabilitate the building, which was damaged last year in the flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey. The property was the home of the Old Spaghetti Warehouse for more than four decades.