Weingarten Realty Investors has submitted requests for certificates of appropriateness to demolish one portion and significantly alter another section of the historic River Oaks Shopping Center. The Art Deco complex is a designated City of Houston Landmark, so proposed changes to the buildings must go before the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission (HAHC). The affected buildings at 1964 and 1973 West Gray Avenue (1948, Raymond H. Brogniez) were constructed during a post-World War II expansion and complemented the modernistic design of the original shopping center (1937, Nunn & McGinty).
Harris County Historical Commission unveiled a historical marker May 12 at the Morse-Bragg Cemetery, 66 South Wynden Drive, one of the only surviving reminders of the pioneer history of Houston's Galleria area.
Preservation Houston has been fortunate to receive donations in memory of Director Emeritus Bart Truxillo, who passed away April 19. In light of Bart's contributions to the organization, the Preservation Houston Board of Directors has decided that it would be appropriate to dedicate funds donated in Bart's memory to support Preservation Houston's public programs.
Demolition of the surviving section of the former Webster High School (1939, Rudolph G. Schneider), 400 South Walnut Street in Webster, is part of a bond proposal that Clear Creek Independent School District (CCISD) is putting before voters later this month. The structure, which now serves as the main entrance to Clear View High School, is one of the few remaining pre-World War II historic resources in the Clear Lake area and a surprisingly sophisticated example of Art Deco design in what was a very small town at the time the school was built.